LEGO Education

Give me a 'L'!
Give me an 'E'!
Give me a 'G'!
Give me an 'O'!

What does that spell? LEGO Education!

It was unanimous in my home that Legos were the 'in' thing to do with everyone, so we have used them a good deal here recently.

I made the kids personalized Lego cards - what I could probably call Lego Command Cards - that cover a variety of areas. I will be sharing them soon, along with a little bit more about how we use them. In this post, I just thought I'd share some pictures of what inspired me the most and what they've been doing with them. 

Hoss has a hard time telling writing a story. One day, though, he and LM made this (pictured below) and he orally gave me an amazing story about what was going on, who was good, who was bad, what they were all doing, why they were doing it, etc. You get the point. I realized that he was able to think through what was in his brain with them. Add that to the aforementioned love of all things Lego and I knew we were on the right path.


So I made the command cards and each child does at least one a day. I take that back - LM, Hoss, and Miss Priss have a Lego Card expectation on their cards each day. We have yet to reinstate the expectation cards for Bug, but she has still fairly consistently done one a day as well. I'll show you a little of what they've done now, and try to get some more pictures shared soon.

*Spell your name using Lego pieces*


Buddy doesn't have cards, but he has quite often taken the idea he heard from someone else's card and done his version of it. This one, I believe, was made after Hoss had a card that read:
*Choose ten lego pieces and build something with them*
After Hoss did this, he had to write down what he built and what he wanted to say about it.


Bug did the same :)


These pictures are from Miss Priss' first attempt at the card that read:
*Build anything you like. Have Mama help you take pictures and make your own instruction book with them. Then, give the book and pieces to someone else and let them try to build it again using your directions*

(If you read this post, you can note here that the picture of her was her reaction to this the first time around. She didn't make it any farther than this, BUT still was required to finish it at some point. A couple days later, she picked it back up and we are still working on it - which is teaching her the finer points of an ongoing project, instead of trying to shove a lot of work in one day.)



Those were the first couple of days - we have had this going for a couple of weeks now, but also been working on getting my husband ready to leave, so we didn't have school time every day.
They have also been enjoying a lot of art, after getting a couple different art sets for Christmas. There has been a great deal of painting going on, and the hallway is still full of pictures taped to the wall, paintings at different levels of difficulty. :)





This is the umpteenth time that I have worked on this post, both in draft and in my mind, and writer's block is finally starting to lift! Thank goodness!

My husband is off to school :(


 so although in some ways I will be much busier, I will also be able to find a new normal once again :) and will hopefully have a more regular blogging schedule once again. Looking back, that doesn't seem like much. Truth be told, there is generally a great deal of things that get done around here, but don't get pictured. It's just more fun to look at a picture of something than just read it. Math gets done every day, LM and Hoss are doing well in History and learning to research specific topics. Language has gone well, with Hoss and Miss Priss finishing up work on compound words and root words in preparation for some work together in prefixes and suffixes. All things that I wish we'd done sooner, but what matters is that we are doing them now. I just can't possibly capture it all and still be able to teach with so many doing different things, all at the same time :) . 

If you are following me at all (goodness knows by now, you've probably seen a little too much dust on the blogger address for No Greater Honor lol) I hope I can continue to be an encouragement to you and that you find a few minutes of enjoyment and a break while checking out what we've been up to! I plan on making a point of getting some more blogging in, seeing as how I just passed up my 2nd blogiversary! :) So hang in, and Lord willing you will be seeing more of what I have the HONOR of doing every day!!!




Comments

  1. Good to have you back. Sounds like you sure have been busy!
    Blessings.
    Abbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to be getting something done! Just so ready now to figure out how to fit even half of our things into less than half the space, and therefore making it possible to get back to the good routine we had before everything got thrown around again :) Thanks for stopping by! I am looking forward to catching up on what's been going on with you all, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to let you know that your blog has been nominated for the Liebster Award! Check out the details here: http://plantingpeas.com/liebster-award/ xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think of this post! I do pray it has been a blessing, and would be honored to hear your ideas and suggestions!

Popular posts from this blog

To Succeed One Must Never Give Up

Reader's Review - Llama Llama, Red Pajama

Homeschool tidbits