Vacation - The Beginning.

In the  middle of all the busyness of our life, we are on VACATION!!!!

Blogging time has been non-existent lately, but since we are here and I have some free time on my hands, I thought I'd blog through our vacation. Why? Because I want to remember this week and a half for a very long time. I also thought it would be fun to see how much education can come in to play with a vacation. Keeping in mind, my children probably won't think of it as such, but I will know - and there, my friends, is the trick of homeschooling. Learning without borders, without realization of what is happening, just having fun!

Today I'll just share our trip with you. Not many pictures because, well - I was the one driving. Which, obviously, renders it impossible to take pictures. 

We packed up and left Friday morning and spent the next 12 hours making what should have been an 8 hour trip. We were stopping for the night in Alabama, staying with a family friend that I haven't seen in a very  long time (since LM was a baby, I believe).

 I think patience was the name of the game. The first half of that trip was full of stop-go-stop-go progress. Between road work and wrecks, we probably came to a complete stop on the interstate at least a half dozen times and kept a snail's pace for hours.


This was the first sign that our trip wasn't going to go the way I thought it might.... 


75 mph speed limit and I was excited to see the gauge hit 30. It was really that bad. 


And I'm just gonna tell you right now, these two pictures were taken all at the same time. In front, beside, and behind me. This is NOT my favorite place to be stalled on the interstate. My husband  would probably laugh where he there with me, but I am not a fan of these vehicle beasts, nor do I like being stuck beside them. 


In all truth, it probably added 2 - 2 1/2 hours to our trip. We also ran in to some not-so-fun weather going through Mississippi, and had the most interesting, wheel-gripping, white-knuckled ride through 1 1/2 hours of freezing rain. It didn't actually rain that entire time, but by the time temps dropped to 24 degrees, what had fallen had frozen over my wipers, antenna, and a great outline of my front windshield. I  kept the wipers going in an attempt to keep them warm enough to not freeze up completely until we were able to stop and knock the ice off. After that it was smooth sailing until our stop, thanks to good Mapquest directions and Google maps on my phone guiding me in!

We were able to stop for the night at the home of our dear friends, and I think by the time we settled in there I realized that not only had the trip gone in a very unexpected way, the Lord sure did move in amazing ways to protect us.

The traffic stand stills - they were caused by a Fed Ex truck wreck, and a couple vehicle-to-vehicle wrecks. We also saw where an 18 wheeler had jack-knifed on the interstate, and left it's cargo in the median. The same bad weather that froze my windshields also froze occasional places on the road, one of which we hit just right and would have wrecked ourselves had the Lord just pushed our truck straight fairly quickly and kept the car in the lane next to us just enough ahead to avoid collision.

God sure is good, and I can't wait to share more of our trip!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Succeed One Must Never Give Up

Reader's Review - Llama Llama, Red Pajama

Homeschool tidbits